Monday, December 17, 2012

Where’s Emmanuel?

This season of Advent brings anticipation with it.  For kids, however, there’s a lot of impatience.  It’s one thing to wait for Santa (and to be good for so long).  One year, when the organist began the hymn, “O come, o come, Emmanuel,” after the third verse, one little one cried out, “When is Emmanuel coming?! This hymn is sooooooo long!”
That question is profound, actually.  We still ask in our hearts and minds when God will be with us when nights get long and times get hard.  We have the answer, of course, but that answer must not only be a statement of faith.  It must be a statement of our faith.
The hymn can be found in the Episcopal Church’s Hymnal 1982 as #56.  Indeed, it is long—eight verses.  Since the first and last verses repeat, however, there actually are seven.
The hymn began as a plainsong chant in monastic communities in the Middle Ages.  All hymns are, in one form or another, a prayer.  That is especially true of hymns like this one.  As marked in the hymnal, there is a verse for each day from December 17th through December 23rd.  In some chapels, one verse was sung for each of those days.  In others, a verse was added each day, and the hymn became longer.  Each verse focuses on a different aspect of this Promised One of God:  Dayspring from on high, Desire of nations, key of David, to cite three of them.
Each verse on each day is a wonderful focus for prayer.  As I seek the presence of God in Christ in so many diverse forms, I can look for the presence of Christ in ways that I might not expect.  I also can look at the ways in which I might recognize God in my midst and confess my limited understanding.
In this season, children can teach me new ways to expect Emmanuel.  Another child put a new verse into the hymn.  He wrote, “O come, o come, Emmanuel, and ransom captive Israel; as Santa Claus is checking his list, I really hope I will not be missed.”
Hmmm.  Now there’s an interesting mix.  And in some ways, I still believe in Santa, too.  And I still am waiting for him, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment