Thursday, November 29, 2012

Positively Powerful

The great salesman Zig Ziglar passed away just the other day.  I have to think that he now is living out the title of his first book, See You at the Top!  I imagine he is having a great time chatting with the apostles about their amazing successes in the conversion of the pagan world in their time to follow Jesus Christ.  I imagine that Paul, in particular, is spending a lot of time with Zig comparing notes.
          After all, it was Paul who told the Philippians that, whatever their condition, they do not focus on the condition but on Christ.  From prison, Paul said that he appreciated the kindness of the Philippian church and that he was content with whatever he had.  He then says, “I can do all things through [Christ] who strengthens me.” (Phil 4:13)
          That’s one of my “life verses.  Sure, there are many things that I would like to do, people I would like to know, things I would like to change, and circumstances that I would like to alter.  Some I can, and some I can’t.  But God in Christ can change anything and everything.  I just need to be in tune with what God desires much more than what I desire.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me—but they are all things that God in Christ wishes to accomplish through me.  I have to be willing to be an open vessel.
          I always have liked the old AA/Al-Anon prayer, “Lord, help me to come to terms with the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”
          People like Zig Ziglar serve as cheerleaders.  He always insisted that I could achieve far more than I imagined.  And then it was and is and will be God who gives me the power and the ability to do it to honor and glorify God.
          So, Zig, here’s to you.  Yes, I CAN!  By God’s grace, I’ll take that another step:  Yes, I WILL!

No comments:

Post a Comment