Sunday, November 11, 2012

War Veterans

Veterans Day is, to me, a very important national occasion for celebration and remembrance.  My father, a veteran of the Second World War, rarely wanted to discuss his experiences until just the last few years.  In the last decade, he has been able to connect with some of his shipmates and participated in a ceremony in San Diego where all were honored for service and sacrifice to their country.  Now he talks in great detail, not about himself, but about the sacrifices the sacrifices one must make to preserve freedom.
My grandpa was a veteran of the First World War, “the war to end all wars.”  He, too, never wanted to tell of the trials and tribulations he suffered on the front in France.  As I boy, I remember having a look at his medals, which he kept stored away. 
Vietnam was different, and the veterans from that war have struggled to be appreciated for duty to their country.  I did not have an opportunity to serve, but I came close.  My draft lottery number was low, but the war ended near the time of my possible draft.  So I do not have the experience of being a veteran.  There are many like me—and some who have answered the call of their country to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan.  And I honor them.
Still, on Veterans Day, I am not a veteran.  Or am I?
        The New Testament reminds me that I am alongside every other Christian who strives to follow Jesus.  For, as the apostle Paul says, there is a battle being waged by the Evil One to claim souls in this world.  There are principalities and powers at work to bring blessing and strength, or to bring harm and hell for the spirit.  He tells the Ephesians to “put on the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.” (6:13)
        Nearly 40 years ago, I committed my life to Jesus Christ.  Spiritual warfare has become more real to me each and every day of service.  That makes me a spiritual veteran.  But there are countless others in every age who have been in the battle.
        I watched a special on the Battle of the Bulge.  Toward the end, one of those who fought and survived said that, yes, he was a veteran—but not a hero.  He referred to many soldiers buried in France and said, “They are the heroes.”
       Christians have heroes, too.  We call them saints.  Many have died in the name of Christ, and still do today.  I am no hero.  I strive to be a saint each day.  And I still am in the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment