Tuesday, November 6, 2012

God and Election Day



Every four years, our nation holds an election for president.  It’s always a time of soul-searching.  We may have passions about one candidate or another, or about one political or moral agenda or another.  Before any one of us steps into the voting booth, my hope is that we take a moment to pray about the decision that we are making.  The question before any of us is not what we prefer individually, or how we might want to further a personal agenda or emotion.

            The question always is:  Where is God in this choice?  What would Jesus do?  In the end, for the Christian, a voting decision is not personal or political.  It is theological.  So we ask:  in my vote, how do I help to further God’s intent for this nation at this time?
            As a priest, I have been pressed on this point by people from both ends of the political spectrum.  I recall, as an election day approached, being asked directly, “Who do you think God wants to be elected?  I never answer such a question, since any specific statement that I might make could well be proven wrong.  And what would that say about my insight into God’s will?   I also have my own preferences among a slate of candidates.
            Blessedly, a long time ago, when I served as a seminarian assistant at Christ Church, South Pittsburg, Tennessee, I faced a wrenching dilemma in October and November.  You see, the town is six miles from the Tennessee Alabama border.  The church included members from both states.  College football is a passion for members, and Jesus is the quarterback for one team or another at any time.
            On the Sundays when the Tennessee Vols played the Crimson Tide of Alabama, men and women came to me and asked, “Who do you think God wants to have as the winner?”  I took the question back to seminary at Sewanee and asked a wise old priest, “How do I answer the question?”  He thought for a moment and replied, “Just tell them, ‘I prayed about it and God told me, May the best team win.’”
            God does not favor one team over another, nor does God bless one political party over another.  God gives us freedom to choose and to act.
            Even if parishioners in South Pittsburg were divided on the Sunday before the game, they always reconciled the Sunday after.  In a wonderful Christian spirit, they would say to one another, “Well, that’s what happened this time.  We’ll make it right next time.”  No matter what the outcome of this election, I hope that will be a part of our national mind going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment